Monday, October 31, 2011

Doctrine Matters, Luther Says So


I cringe when I hear Christians lament "doctrine is overrated" or "doctrine is useless. I just need Jesus." Outside of the Bible the greatest event in history (up to this point) was spurned by a godly man whose doctrine of Christ and salvation came straight from the Word of God and so moved a fire in his soul of which the effects are still observed today.

Sadly man today do not grasp the significance of that day- October 31, 1517. Luther's stand that day was for the glory of Christ, in the power the Spirit based on doctrine. Doctrine? Really? Doctrine indeed. Doctrine does matter, just ask Luther:
In short, my doctrine is the matter of chief importance. With it I defy not only princes and kings but all devils as well. Indeed, besides my doctrine I have nothing that supports, strengthens, and gladdens my heart and makes it increasingly bold and defiant. As to the other matter- my life and conduct- I know very well that it is sinful and that I cannot boast of it. I am a poor sinner and will let my enemies be pure saints and angels. Blessed are they of they can sustain reputation. Not that I want to rate as a sinner before the world and non-Christians, but I do so before God and His dear Christians...Let the man who did not know this hear it now...If we believe that our Lord Christ will sit in judgment over all of us on the Last Day, how could any man be more miserable than this fellow Luther if he is wrong and teaches false doctrine? This belief in judgment would certainly not let him have many quiet hours. On the other hand, how can any man be more blessed than this Luther if he is right and teaches Christian doctrine? This belief in Judgment cannot let him have many troubled hours.*
If doctrine didn't matter to Luther we would still be pagans in bondage to Rome. Praise the Lord for raising up Martin Luther.


"Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers"(1 Ti 4:16). 

Soli Deo Gloria!

For His Glory,
Fernando

* The picture is of Luther's study where he translated the New Testament into the German language.
*Ewald M. Plass, What Luther Says (St. Louis, Mo: Concordia Publishing House, 1959), p. 845-846

No comments:

Post a Comment