Thursday, January 12, 2012

Nothing Wrong With Religion

I've been asked plenty about the video above. Here are my observations:

There is nothing wrong with religion, per se, but there IS something wrong with the use of the word, as used in this video. Religion as defined by our contemporary "Christian" culture is, "man working his way up to God". The problem with this definition, is that it is no where used in any dictionary. It might sound cool to tell your non-Christian friends that you "hate religion". But the reality of the matter, is that there is a "religion that is pure and undefiled before God, The Father" (James 1:27-ESV). Some argue that it is a matter of semantics, but, I believe that semantics is important. What words mean, have meant, are important in our use of them today. Others say that he qualifies his statement, but no where do we see a qualification in this video. "Jesus hates religion", the gentleman keeps repeating in his spoken-word, but no where in scripture do we see such a statement. What I think he means, and this is where I can appreciate the video, is that Jesus hates hypocrisy (surely, that is true). But, we cannot simply take words and turn them upside down. Art form (when it is Christian), no matter what it is (e.g., music), ought to carefully use words and not strip them from their historical meaning. Don't we rage in anger when people use the word "Christian" for something that is false and in contradiction to what Christianity has historically meant? Then is it not hypocritical for us to take the word religion and do the same?
The Christian church has historically used the word religion in a positive light (The classic work of John Calvin comes to mind, or Jonathan Edwards's treatise on true religion). I, and others, will continue to do the same. 

2 comments:

  1. Well to me Religion is a scary word... I had at one point lost my faith because of the simple word Religion...What is religion? There is so much RELIGION out there I became very confused and what I mean by that is: When people ask you ''hey what RELIGION are you? What do you say? Pentecostal... Baptist.. Catholic.. so on....So my intake on what he is saying is not so much as what you claim to be as long as you believe in JESUS.... I dont say I Hate Religion for the word Hate is a strong word ... but I do believe I can love God and follow Jesus word without being any certain Religion.. Because to every man his RELIGION is right and all others are wrong and there are thousands of them out there..So better when someone ask you what Religion you are ... You just simply say I Love God and Jesus is my savoir and I have no Religion than to be a hypocrit and claim one of thousands.. As long as your a good person and Believe and Believe in one and only God ... Then your headed the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Well to me Religion is a scary word"

    Sorry, but it's a word scripture uses.

    "I had at one point lost my faith because of the simple word Religion"

    I doubt you lost your faith because of the word, rather, you lost your faith because you don't understand what true religion is, namely, Christianity.

    "You just simply say I Love God and Jesus is my savoir and I have no Religion than to be a hypocrit and claim one of thousands."

    What God, what Jesus? The one the Mormons claim is in the bible? or Jehovah Witnesses? Or the one Oprah sees? Which one?

    "As long as your a good person and Believe and Believe in one and only God ... Then your headed the right way."

    If you believe you're a good person, you are going to hell. Romans 3:12 says that no one does good. The only being that is good is God.

    Sorry, you are so confused.

    Believe upon the name of Christ. Believe that He died for sinners, taking the weight of the Father's wrath upon Himself, believe not that you are good, but that the only one who is good, died on a tree, to reconcile us to the Father. And rose again on the Third day. Believe in Christ.

    ReplyDelete