Friday, February 3, 2012

What They Are Saying About Lloyd-Jones

I just received my copy of Preaching & Preachers 40th Anniversary Edition. The blessing about this edition is that it contains several essays from several recent preachers: Bryan Chapell, Mark Dever, Kevin DeYoung, Ligon Duncan, Timothy Keller and John Piper. They all write about how they've been impacted by this book even when they disagree with the Welshman.

I have selected two essays to quote from. John Piper and Kevin DeYoung. I'll start with Piper:
In July 1959, Martyn Lloyd-Jones and his wife, Bethan, were on vacation in Wales. They attended a little chapel for a Sunday morning prayer meeting, and Lloyd-Jones asked them, "Would you like me to give a word this morning?" The people hesitated because it was his vacation and they didn't want to presume upon his energy. But his wife said, "Let him, preaching is his life." It was a true statement*
Kevin DeYoung:
There are two audiences that most need to read this book: those who are considering the preaching ministry and those who are tired of it. I can't lay this down as an absolute rule, but in general I would say that if you are not gripped by Lloyd-Jones passion for preaching, then you should really think whether you are called to preach. Again, I admit some may not take to this opinionated Welshman like I have , But I still think it's a good rule of thumb: if Preaching and Preachers does not ignite a fire in your heart for the romance and glory of preaching, then preaching is probably not for you. There's no shame in that, but it's better to see that sooner rather than later.
If a young man is considering the ministry and he loves theology and Greek and Hebrew but says "meh" to this book, I wonder if he has the requisite enthusiasm for the chief task of pastoral ministry (I'm thinking here of those pastors whose main responsibility it is to preach). If, however, your heart soars with each chapter and anecdote, make an effort to see if the church confirms what you sense in yourself.*
I have many, many, many books on the subject of preaching, both old and modern but none that I have read (and I have read quite a few) top Preaching and Preachers. Although Spurgeons Lectures To My Students comes in a close second. My concern with much of today's books on preaching is that the focus lies far too much on form and structure. If you have read the Doctor he calls that almost an abomination and harlotry.

Whether you have been preaching for years, or just starting, or pondering this is a must read. You can find your copy here.

Soli Deo Gloria!

For His Glory,
Fernando

*D. Martryn Lloyd-Jones, Preaching &Preachers 40th Anniversary Edition (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2011), p. 153

* Ibid, p. 198
    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment