Sunday, August 12, 2012

My Presbyterianism


I am announcing publicly that I am now a Presbyterian. I dislike writing blogs in non-academic prose. I sense that it trumps my trek into scholarship, but bear with me. I became a 5 point Calvinist in 2007 and for 5 years termed myself: Reformed Baptist, Calvinistic Baptist, or Sovereign Grace Baptist. I was 5 point Calvinist who believed in believer’s baptism, but having studied Presbyterianism for a few years, I respected infant baptism and could see its defense in the Scriptures. In seminary, for a class assignment, I played Increase Mather, dressed like a Puritan, and gave a defense of infant baptism while calling myself a Reformed Baptist. I loved (and still love and cherish) Baptist history. I admired (and still admire) the British Baptists, and of course I grieved over the fact that much of the Southern Baptist Convention was theologically aberrant. As time passed, I became acquainted with Presbyterian ideas and was exceedingly blessed by them, as much as by the Calvinistic Baptists.

Some history: I am a proud ex-Roman Catholic, saved at an evangelical Pentecostal church in 1997 in the Republic of Panama, which is very Pentecostal. After some theological issues and bad experiences, I grew tired of strong Pentecostalism and came to oppose it quite strongly but respectfully, although the church I was saved at was an exception to the rule (a great church). I came to despise the spiritual abuse of the pressure to receive the “gifts of the spirit,” and now I am a proud and comfortable cessationist (for exegetical, not emotional reasons).

I am a Seattleite (a citizen of Seattle, Washington), and there are not many confessionally Reformed churches. To me, the 3 forms of unity and the LBCF / Westminster confessions were exceedingly important, and as I learn more about them, I strongly believe that much of Christianity is suffering due to ignorance of these great confessions. I include the London Baptist Confession of 1689 because it is such an excellent Baptist document, and what true Baptists ought to believe. I began to attend a few non-denominational churches in Seattle, and grieved over the fact that the preaching proved to be awkward, sometimes irrational, sometimes aberrant, and non-exegetical. At times I left the church service fuming over the bad theology that was presented there. I began going to Seattle Reformed Presbyterian church this summer (2012) and was very glad to see brethren who loved the truth, were Calvinists, were confessional, cared about sola scriptura, and treated me like family (not that I was demanding). The RPCNA is a fine denomination, holding to confessional Reformed theology and the principles I strongly believed in, that were missing from so many other churches I attended, even Baptist ones (non-Reformed). I felt that the Baptist churches I attended lacked the pure Reformed convictions I cherished (minus the one in Kirkland – a good Reformed one), and still taught the error of free will and Amyraldism (general atonement). I will say that there are about half a dozen Reformed Baptist churches that are excellent confessional churches, and who get along very well with the Presbyterian churches. Here in Seattle, Calvinists stick together despite differing in non-essentials (baptism, the Lord’s supper, church government, etc.) These Reformed Baptist churches, a really good one in Kirkland (far from where I live), are highly recommended to worship at, but they are too far from where I live, as are most of the Reformed churches in Washington state. The closest one to my apartment, Seattle Reformed Presbyterian, grew on me very quickly, and I am convinced that going there was due to God’s providence and Sovereign direction.


This summer I intensified my Presbyterian studies, did tons of research and exegesis, and made the decision to adopt Presbyterian views. I still love Reformed Baptism and I am not pedantically opposed to credobaptism, but I am Presbyterian – my conscience has been directed there. I adhere to Calvin’s view of the Lord’s supper and the sacraments, where before I did not. I do not wish to debate baptism or other non-essentials, and I would never criticize Reformed Baptism, much less my dear Reformed brethren in Christ that adhere to the London Baptist Confession (hey, I adhere to most of it anyway! It is a wonderful read). My “switch” is not presumptuous, reactionary, or spiteful, and I spent many sleepless nights thinking about this. I am confident that this decision was a great idea, and I look forward to studying much more concerning Presbyterianism – areas such as theonomy and postmilleniallism. Know this - that I will not disrespect Reformed Baptists (I was one, and was happy to be one), nor will I cease to cherish this great Calvinistic tradition and the theologians that comprise it, in particular Spurgeon. Again, I do not wish to debate non-essentials nor forcefully promote them. To God be the glory alone – for Christ and covenant. 

Felipe Diez III
Minister_of_Music@yahoo.com

 

3 comments:

  1. During the 19th century, multitudes of Presbyterians left their denomination and became Baptists. Several of them wrote books explaining the process. Two that come to mind are A.C. Dayton's "Theodosia Ernest" and William L. Slack's "Reasons For Becoming a Baptist." The latter has never been reprinted, but definitely needs to be. I can't think of any Baptists who became Presbyterians in the 19th century.

    Now the 21th century is a different matter. Multitudes of Baptists are becoming Presbyterian. Why? What is different about this century as compared to the 19th? The difference is the 19th century Baptists were much stronger on Baptist distinctives. Back then most Baptists in the south were Landmarkers and the ones in the north had landmark tendencies. Most modern Baptists are as weak as dish water on Baptist doctrine, heritage and distinctives. In my opinion this is why we are seeing many Baptists become Presbyterians today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a former Baptist, I have to disagree with Ben's opinion on why we're seeing many Baptists becoming Presbyterian.

    What I notice about many former Baptists who have become Presbyterian is that covenant theology was becoming an issue in their baptistic doctrine. This is something I hear a lot from those who are now Presbyterian who were once Baptist. This was also the case for me.

    I even tried to come up with a strange (unfamiliar/not common) view of covenant theology that involved the infants of believers in the covenant, but without partaking of the covenant sign.

    If former Baptists were becoming Presbyterian simply because modern Baptists were weak in their doctrine then it would be just as easy to become a Baptist all over again if those ancient 19th century arguments and defenses were brouht up again. That's obviously not the case.

    There are strong Baptists today, such as James White, who defend believer's baptism and oppose paedobaptism very well. It took me almost 3 years to become a Presbyterian and I believe it took Felipe even longer. I can almost guarantee that it's not because Baptists doctrine was weakly defended or taught by modern Baptists... It's simply dealing with the Scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, both Ben and Arturo make some good points which can be synthesized :)

    ReplyDelete