Thursday, June 2, 2011

Whatever Happened To 1 John 2:9-11?

"Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness." 
These words from the apostle John are a warning for professing Christians and true believers. We in the body of Christ have our disagreements on certain doctrines. That is understandable, after all, we are fallible finite creatures. But the problem does't stop there it, sometimes, gets worse. In the Reformed and Calvinist circles, it seems to prevail. We have the confessionalists that distance themselves from non-confessionalists, Paedobaptists vs Credobaptists, Premillennialists vs. non-Premillennialists, Theonomists vs. non-Theonomists e.t.c. In other words, there are obvious disagreements and these disagreements have led to some un-brotherly love. The disagreements are not my concern (here). It is how these differing views are handled that concern me. It is the treatment of brothers that becomes the issue. Sometimes one side is far too busy trying to justify their position while forgetting the people that they are disagreeing with have been purchased by the same Lamb of God and will be spending eternity bowing before His holy presence! More time is invested in suppressing the other side and distancing from them. Rather than building them up, by, challenging their views, that are believed to be in error, while maintaining friendship and fellowship.

Before I proceed, let me alleviate some fears. I am not a- let's all get together and have one big "kumbaya" and act as if there is no strong disagreement(s)- type of Christian. I will in no way endorse and promote the likes of Rick Warren (no matter what brother and Dr. Piper says) and company. There is far too much danger and error there, as far as the Gospel and how it is preached, for my care. I'm in favor of having these heated and passionate discussions and debates. I believe it is necessary, at times, to take the gloves off and be poignant. Those that have followed this blog are familiar with my strong dislike and objection(s) to Dispensationalism. I believe their errors are great and need to be biblically dealt with, as they would view Covenant Theology the same. So-lets' do this! ;-)

How do we treat one another during and after the heated argument? Sometimes, as an observer, I see a ton of vitriol that seems like hatred and detestation of the person and not just the position. Let's stick with the Piper and Warren situation since I mentioned it. Many have cast Dr. Piper to the wayside and have launched a vitriolic attack against him. Now, I think Piper is wrong for his endorsement of Warren and I am quite appalled at the platform he gave Warren at his conference. It is concerning to me. But not to the point of outright rejecting Piper. If Piper starts to teach like and what Warren teaches, things will change. But until then I will have no problem affirming my love for Dr. Piper and recommending his writings. I think that is the loving thing to do. What I don't think the loving thing to do is to keep him at a distance with a thirty foot pole because of his association with Warren. That would be tantamount to rejecting Whitefield because of his friendship Wesley (if you think Warren is theologically bad, read Wesley). Or despising Spurgeon because he, at one time, endorsed Wesley. And for the record, the mention of Piper/Warren is not the reason for this article. I just think it is a good example.

Here is an interesting scenario- I dislike and object to Dispensationalism and yet I pastor a church that is Dispensational (how this happened is the subject for another article)! We love each other and fellowship just fine. No outside observer would know that the pastor is Amillennial while the church is Dispensational Premillennial. What we pray, and I think is the case, is that people see this: "For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified" and "By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another” ( 1 Cor. 2:2 and Jn 13:35). We don't spend the majority of our time looking at our disagreements. When we gather together on the Lord's day to worship, we focus on Him and His Word. When they come up (and they will), we deal with them in a loving and brotherly manner. We invite each other over to our houses and have fun, hang out, talk theology and discuss our views and differences (even heatedly) and just enjoy each others company. We do this knowing that despite our differences we will be, one day, in the presence of the glorious Lord Jesus Christ- together. We better learn to love each other and get along now, if we will be worshiping the Lamb together for all of eternity!

I often wonder if those that show nothing but detestation for others because they don't agree with all of their pet doctrines, have truly had their hearts pierced with the love of God in the Gospel of Jesus Christ? I know some Reformed folk are uncomfortable with all this talk of brotherly love. But the identifying mark of one that has repented and believed in Christ is our love for each other (John 13:35). People have tried to manufacture good works but brotherly love is impossible to duplicate and that is why many do not attempt to do it. They rather justify their hatred. There is a warning for all: "We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother" (1 Jn 4:19–21). I await the objections. :-) Soli Deo Gloria!

For His Glory,
Fernando

1 comment:

  1. Very good article and much needed in the Body of Christ! We will never (in this side of heaven) get it right perfectly but we surely can strive toward that mark, that high calling of GOD in CHRIST JESUS!

    ReplyDelete