Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What Sparked The Reformation? In Luther's Own Words...

‘I simply taught, preached, wrote God’s Word: otherwise I did nothing. And when, while I slept, or drank Wittenberg beer with my Philip and my Amsdorf, the Word so greatly weakened the papacy that never a Prince or Emperor inflicted such damage upon it. I did nothing. The Word did it all.’*
Calvin also echos similar sentiments when he describes what a true church is:
‘Wherever we see the Word of God purely preached and heard’, he wrote, ‘and the sacraments administered according to Christ’s institution, there, it is not to be doubted, a Church of God exists.’ In fact, this ministry of Word and sacrament, the audible and visible proclaimation of the gospel, must be adjudged ‘a perpetual token by which to distinguish the Church’.*
Soli Deo Gloria!

For His Glory,
Fernando


*Stott, John R. W. (1994-01-01). Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today (p. 25). Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment