Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Prime Example Of What Is Wrong With Contemporary Christian Music


You might be the wife waiting up at nightYou might be the man struggling to provideFeeling like it's hopeless
Maybe you're the son who chose a broken roadMaybe you're the girl thinking you'll end up alonePraying "God, can you hear me?Oh God, are you listening?"
Am I more than flesh and bone?Am I really something beautiful?Yeah, I wanna believe, I wanna believe thatI'm not just some wandering soulThat you don't see and you don't knowYeah, I wanna believe,Jesus, help me believe thatI am someone worth dying for
I know you've heard the truth that God has set you freeBut you think you're the one that grace could never reachSo you just keep askin', oh, what everybody's askin'
Am I more than flesh and bone?Am I really something beautiful?Yeah, I wanna believe, I wanna believe thatI'm not just some wandering soulThat you don't see and you don't knowYeah, I wanna believe,Jesus, help me believe thatI am someone worth dying for
I don't usually listen to Christian radio stations (or any radio stations for that matter). Though, my mother enjoys some of the music (she isn't reformed). We often have dialogues on the theology of some of the songs. As the radio was playing, I came across the song above, and I couldn't believe what I heard (not kidding): A song that asks God to help the person believe that they are "someone worth dying for". Wow, really? Here I thought that I was totally unworthy of the death of my savior! I thought that grace, this saving grace, was totally unmerited. That there was nothing in me to cause God to love me, and save me. But, I guess I was wrong? Jesus died on the cross for me...because I am worth it? That God would be moved due to some innate worth held by a sinner?! Perish the thought.Christ didn't die for us because we are worth it. He died for us to reconcile us to the Father, because the Triune God is worth it! In Christianity, one does not look to one self as the reason  for God's love. God loves us freely. God loves us because He chooses to. The eyes should be taken off one self, and placed on Christ, as the reason for everything.

-
awretchsaved

Note: Not all of CCM is bad. There are some good contemporary Christian songs out there...somewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment