Thursday, March 24, 2011

Pick Up A Theological Book!

One of the great threats to Christians is ignorance. Ask the average believer about doctrine, theology, church history and sometimes even Scripture; you will find much confusion with ignorance. I am by no means using the word ignorance in a derogatory way. I am using it in its original sense- a lack of knowledge. Nor do I want to discourage learning believers that are studying but moving along slowly and struggling with certain things. I am, however, taking a  shot at the lazy believer that says, "but it's too tough!" And doesn't even try to learn.


Is it tough? It sure is. I remember the first time I sat in church and listened to the pastor teach on 1 John and build his case on an aorist verb (I'm sure he explained but I was a 24 year old young man that dropped out of  school in 7th grade and only accomplished a G.E.D. education level). I remember thinking to myself, "what in the world is an aorist?" What I did know is that it was crucial to understanding the sermon so I had to ask questions and look it up. I'm so thankful that he didn't overly "dumb down" the message because it could have led me to become dependent on the pastor to grow in my study of God. That sermon was a landmark in my Christian growth. I only bring this up to show that I well understand the struggle of study. Seven years later and I still struggle reading through some theologians and Christian authors. Yet, I continue to do so because what they have to say helps me grow in Christ. I would never have come to the place I am now if it weren't for, not only pastors and bible teachers, but theological books. It is well worth the struggle.


Can you imagine if someone were to be hired at a place of employment and not seek to grow in their knowledge of the occupation? They wouldn't last long before they were to be fired. And people well understand that hence all the time and money invested in further secular education (which is not a bad thing). But when it comes to their study and growth in Christ, well, He takes a back seat to everything else except for maybe on Sunday and a short 5 minute "devotion" throughout the week. I challenge you to ask a Christian about doctrine or theology and watch the awkward atmosphere develop because of ignorance. Then talk about their place of employment, politics, sports, the economy e.t.c. and watch how passionate and knowledgeable the believer can get. 


Now the amazing thing about the grace of God is that He never kicks people out of the Kingdom for theological ignorance but have you ever wondered why false teaching is tolerated and promoted in and from churches today? Partly because there is this "I'm in ('saved') and that's all that matters" attitude. It's also because the average pew sitter is ignorant about biblical teachings and tragically wishes to remain so because it is "too hard" to understand and therefore don't know when a wolf is spouting false teaching from the pulpit. In fact, let's take the position of an elder for example. Most Christians are not aware of God's qualifications for elders (this includes pastor's since they are elders) given in 1 Tim. 3 and Titus 1. When it comes time to find a teaching elder/pastor they look for the person that  "loves people," "is great with the community" and "is a great speaker." He may indeed be all these but at the same time doctrinally; theologically unsound and ignorant which results in false teaching. There is no greater recipe for disaster as a biblically unhealthy pastor with a doctrinally ignorant congregation! First, we have biblical authority and second, there have been countless books expounding on the Word of God concerning this issue to prevent it from happening. There is absolutely no excuse for this problem, yet it is still prevalent because Christians fail to inform themselves.


Teachers of the Word definitely have a stricter judgment (James 3:1, Heb 13:7) but the congregation is not off the hook. When Paul wrote to the Galatians he rebuked them for tolerating false teachers and allowing themselves to be partially deceived. He was holding them accountable, even calling them "idiots" (our English translations say "foolish" but this does not accurately convey the force of Paul's rebuke in Gal. 3:1). So let's not be "idiots" like the Galatians. We have no reason to be, we have the Word of God and numerous books that have been written by godly men teaching us what they have learned in the Word. So pick up a theological  book and read. At the bottom of this blog are some book recommendations and that list will grow. Soli Deo Gloria!


For His Glory,
Fernando

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Fernando, I hope many will take its message to heart.

    ReplyDelete