Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Theology Certainly Matters But It's Not the End

Theology most definitely matters but it's only the beginning. Some, especially, in the Reformed camp have made theology an end in itself. These are the one's that are in the "cage stage" of Calvinism and tend to do more damage than good for the glory of Christ. In fact my first encounter with the Reformed camp led me to believe that Calvinists were always angry and mean spirited. This is certainly the impression that some give in their rabid attacks on all that disagree with their pet doctrines. Calvin once wrote "Knowledge without zeal is like putting a sword in the hands of a mad-man." I cannot recall how times I've seen knowledgeable believers pummel young and naive Christians with theological statements, wielding doctrine, without love for the brethren, like it's their great commission. This is a gross misuse and abuse of theology. Theology is not an end in itself. It should humble you when you learn precious truths about the Lord of Glory. If your theology hasn't drawn you closer to God in worship then you may have lost your focus and become a loud chattering box devoid of love. The Lord never revealed Himself in the Holy Writ in order to puff you up with pride but to humble you before Him.

Theology without love is arrogance. The Apostle Paul writes to the Corinthian church, "Now concerning food offered to idols: we know that 'all of us possess knowledge.' This “knowledge” puffs up, but love builds up. If anyone imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know. But if anyone loves God, he is known by God" (1 Cor. 8:1-3). Yet in the next few verses (4-6) he agrees with their correct statements concerning monotheism, "an idol has no real existence" and "there is no God but one." The problem wasn't bad theology but good theology misapplied! They possibly were justifying their participating in social events that had pagan idol practices with their knowledge of monotheism. In doing this they were providing for "weaker" believers to violate their consciences (v. 7-13). Knowledge is not an end in itself, in fact without love, it leads to pride. That is why it must always be accompanied with love and grace- "This “knowledge” puffs up, but love builds up."

On a final note I certainly understand the need for proclaiming and defending the doctrines of grace in a day and age where the modern church has abandoned these truths, but even this must be done not to prove we are right and they are wrong but to protect the purity of the Gospel out of love for Christ and His sheep- our brethren. I love me a good ol nice and sometimes heated theological discussion but let's be sure that our theology hasn't made us "noisy gongs'-"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing"(1 Co 13:1–3). Always remember that dealing with the Peters' (Galatians 2:11-14) is vastly different than dealing with false brethren (Gal. 2:4-5).

For His Glory,
Fernando Ramirez

1 comment: