Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Fool

The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none who does good. (Psa 14:1)

The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. (Pro 12:15)

In everything the prudent acts with knowledge, but a fool flaunts his folly. (Pro 13:16)

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. (Pro 1:7)

Let me go ahead and lay it out; I am a fool, and so are you. We need to be blunt, because mincing words create ambiguity. "The way of a fool is right in his own eyes..." Just last week I was at church, of all places, getting irritated thinking that nothing was going right. The music was off, I was frustrated because I messed up the lyric on my acoustic solo, and whatever else I might have thought of. Then it hit me... I am a fool. I do want to make clear that I do not make practice of despising Gods will, but those verses above were applicable to me in that moment, and are normally more often than not. I was convinced, that what I wanted in my mind was exactly how it should have happened. Then I remembered that God was sovereign... Seriously, I had an epiphany in the middle of church. Right between my pastors words that God's love is deeper than we could ever imagine, and a then these next words that hit me like a ton of bricks: "God is always on time." I think I actually grunted in pain when I heard them. Wow! Four years of studying Reformed theology, and I had to be slapped in the face with the sovereignty of God once more... Leave it to pride for the relapse in self willed determination! I will say that my pride was officially put in check. All of a sudden I had an overwhelming peace about everything that was happening, even with my 14 year old brother-in-law twitching in boredom three people down. I assume all Christians have these moments, so I just wanted to share my little episode.

This is a poem I wrote about a year ago, Its about a fool so i threw it in...

We see the mirror dimming,
so we squint to a sharpened gaze;
As night falls, the crow calls
we know the darkened day...

Crouched and timid I pace forward slowly,
and I see the mirror change;
a desolate call, the crow is all,
a reflection turned sideways...

Crooked mirrors don't deceive the mind,
only the fool that crawls in them;
to hide himself beyond the crest
of the illusion that has gripped him...

Though through a bent reflection,
I know what I pass to you:
crooked mirrors in the dark don't lie,
it's the fool we call true...

In everything the prudent acts with knowledge, but a fool flaunts his folly. (Pro 13:16)

Yours in Christ, Chris Fincher

No comments:

Post a Comment