Sunday, May 1, 2011

Jesus Refutes Anti-Nomianism

Lately, our articles on the blog have dealt with the Law of God and it's relation to believers. Fernando's last article dealt with an assertion that 2 Corinthians 3:7 abrogates the law of God. I've been deemed a legalist because I believe Jesus did not abrogate the moral law. On facebook, a gentleman said such:

"Christ Abolished The Law which includes the Ten Commandments. So your assertion that they were perpetual is false or else we would still be required to tithe and keep The sabbath day, a commandment in the decalougue. This clearly demonstrates that your assertion on perpertuity is false for We Christians certainly do not keep the Sabbath as demanded by The Whole Law."

 This brother is nothing short of confused. Let us have He who is the law-giver, refute his assertions:

17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.- Matthew 5:17-20


So, who will we believe? 


To clarify- we are no longer bound by the ceremonial aspects of the law (Col 2:16, Acts 15). Neither do we have theocratic Israel to enforce its civic or judicial laws. But the moral law of God abides forever. This is the Reformed Position. I apologize to the five point predestinarians who don't like it.

Here is my first article on the "issue".

Here is a small article I highly recommend.


97 Oh, how I love your law!
   I meditate on it all day long.
98 Your commands are always with me
   and make me wiser than my enemies.
99 I have more insight than all my teachers,
   for I meditate on your statutes.
100 I have more understanding than the elders,
   for I obey your precepts.
101 I have kept my feet from every evil path
   so that I might obey your word.
102 I have not departed from your laws,
   for you yourself have taught me.
103 How sweet are your words to my taste,
   sweeter than honey to my mouth!
104 I gain understanding from your precepts;
   therefore I hate every wrong path.- Psalm 119


In Christ, Awretchsaved

No comments:

Post a Comment